Solar water heaters are devices that use solar energy for proposes of washing, bathing and cleaning. They are called solar domestic hot water systems which can be a cost effective way to generate hot water for your home. The beauty of solar water heater lies in its simplicity and durability.
It is said that the life expectancy of a solar water heater is about 20 years and it is fifty percent more efficient than gas or electric water heater. The fuel they use is sunshine which is free. If you want to reduce your water heating bills and greenhouse gas emissions, you must then consider installing a solar water heater.
How it works
- Solar water heater heats a solar collector often fastened to a roof and heats the working fluid that is either pumped or driven by natural convection through it. There are two types of solar water heating systems, active and passive.
- Active solar water heating systems or forced circulation use electric pumps, valves and controllers. Pumps circulate household water through the collectors to the storage tank.
- Direct systems circulate water through solar collectors where it is heated by the sun. The heated water is then stored in a tank.
- In Indirect Circulation systems or closed loop use a non- freezing, heat transfer liquid through collectors to transfer heat from the sun to water in the storage tank. Sun`s thermal energy heats the fluid in the collectors. This fluid passes through a heat exchanger in the storage tank, thus transferring the heat to the water. This heats the water that flows then to your home.
- Most solar water heaters require a well-insulated storage tank that is connected to the collector. Three types of collectors are used for residential solar water heaters: Flat plate collector, Integral collector –storage systems, Evacuated –tube solar collectors.
Evacuated tube is more efficient than a flat panel. It is also more durable and cheaper to repair in case of accidental damage.
- Though the sun can provide sufficient energy to heat plenty of water for the most part of the year, on cloudy or cold days, your system will need anelectricity boosted or gas booster system. Boosting using a tankless gas water heater is the most efficient method of boosting.
- Correct installation is important where solar panels should be installed in such a way that allows air to circulate underneath the panels to keep them cooler.
Selecting your solar water heater in Dubai
- To buy residential solar water heaters in Dubai, you must estimate the cost and energy efficiency of the solar water heating system.
- Check the various components needed for solar water heating systems before you buy. Make sure to buy a solar water heater that includes a storage water heater as a part of the package.
- Solar water heaters which can be used in Dubai`s buildings should be accredited by Dubai municipality. Dubai municipality has issued a list of accredited products for solar water heating systems and certified companies.
- If you have decided to buy a solar water heater for your home, you can get them from reliable and reputed solar water heater suppliers in Dubai, who sell solar water heaters with accredited products.