To some, Australia holds the promise of a better life. This may be why the Australian government receives thousands of migration applications every year. Unfortunately, not all of these applicants are successful. Not everyone can achieve their dream of gaining the right to become permanent residents of the Great Southern Land.
If you have the same dream, one of the best ways you can achieve it is by migrating to Australia as a skilled worker. To get a skilled migration visa, you need to pass certain qualifications and ace the application process— a feat that you can achieve with the help of this article.
4 Qualifications for a Skilled Worker Visa
The government of Australia imposes the following requirements to sift through the skilled worker migration applications:
- Age – Only applicants aged below 45 years may pass the initial migration screening.
- Language Proficiency – Applicants must be able to communicate using the English language on a competent level, at the very least. This is tested via the English Language Testing System where the applicant can have a score of at least 6 points in the exam (competent level) up to 8 points (superior level).
- Nominated Occupation – A skilled worker vying for permanent residency in Australia should nominate an occupation that matches his/her skill set and other qualifications. This will be determined by industry-specific authorities, especially if the applicant is not a nominee of the local government (state or territory).
- Health, Skills and Character Assessments – Skilled worker visa applicants must also pass various assessments to test if they match the government’s requirements, specifically their health, character, and skills.
These qualifications are verified via a point test where an applicant will be deemed successful if he/she was able to get at least 60 points from all four qualifications.
6 Expert Tips When Applying for a Skilled Worker Visa
Applying for an Australian visa is tricky if you have no idea where to begin and how to best go about the process. Below are six expert tips you can apply to ace your Australian skilled migration application:
1. Always have proof
Whether you’re applying for a family, business, or work visa, you must always present evidence of the claims you are making. This means that your relationship, entrepreneurial qualifications, and work history should be verifiable through supporting documents and other forms of proof.
2. Consistency is key
The mere presence of evidence isn’t enough for you to pass your Australian migration application— they must also be consistent. All information will be verified and cross-checked upon submission, so it is important that everything you indicate in your application forms are consistent with various verifiable sources, including public records and social media.
3. Pay attention to the details
Accuracy is also very important in applying for an Australian permanent residency. In fact, even the smallest mistakes or inconsistencies can cause all your hard work in gathering documents and beefing up your evidence can lead to the disapproval of your application.
4. Uphold your integrity
The Australian government values honesty and integrity above everything else. Plus, being true to yourself and your background will make it easier to be consistent and accurate.
Never omit any small detail as it is a sure way to getting your application dumped since it will be considered a demonstration of bad character. Remember: your character will be assessed and is considered as a main qualification in your application for a skilled migration visa.
5. Stay organized, document-wise
The logical and coherent organization of documents can expedite the application process and leave you in the good graces of your assessor. The trick is to highlight the most important sections of the papers you present and arrange them in chronological order, with the files oriented right side up so those who read them won’t have to tilt and twist the documents to get a better view.
6. Be punctual and always beat the deadline
Beating deadlines and avoiding being late during meetings is another chance for you to show your character during your application. It is also the best way to ensure that your application isn’t dropped because of your failure to submit requirements on time.
Applying for an Australian skilled migration visa can be a piece of cake if you know whether you are qualified or not. Of course, it wouldn’t hurt to arm yourself with knowledge about recommendations from experts to boost your chances of achieving your dream of becoming a permanent resident of Australia.
Bevan Berning is an Immigration professional and owner of Pathway Visas, an Immigration Agency dealing mostly with skilled immigration to Canada and Australia. Bevan’s enthusiasm for the industry has kept in the Immigration field for the past seven years. Bevan is South African by birth and has been residing in Dubai for the past eight years.