At many instances, the computer users are in need of finding the IP address of their computer, the default gateway and subnet mask of the internet connection. In many cases, it is necessary for troubleshooting the connectivity problems in your system. If you are calling the internet service provider support team, the particular representative will ask you some crucial information. The default gateway internet protocol address will also be used for accessing the admin application of your router directly from the computer. The following are simple methods to find the Internet Protocol address, subnet mask address, default gateway, and also the DNS server information.
Steps for Windows 98 & Xp systems:
Windows 98 version – When you have an older version of operating system Windows 98 in your computer, you can follow these simple steps to find all the above mentioned network information.
- First, you need to choose Start – > Programs – > DOS Prompt
- In the displaying command line window, you just type winipcfg. A separate window will be opened for displaying the IP network details for your host.
- In the former selection box, you should have to click on the down arrow option and choose an appropriate network interface. There would be a complete network connection listed for the dialup option and one among them for each network card installed in your computer.
- Then, you need to click more info button in order to know some more extra IP information.
- For viewing the additional DNS details, you have to click on the box just next to the 1st DNS number.
Windows XP – If you have Windows XP computer, the following steps are useful to find the subnet mask address, IP address, DNS details, and default gateway of your computer.
- Initially, you should go to the Start – > Run option. The run command dialogue box will be opened on your computer.
- Then, you have to type the command in this dialogue box and hit Enter key.
- In the potential command line window, you need to type ipconfig/all.
The IP (Internet Protocol) address of your computer will be listed in the existing command line window. Other details like DNS numbers and default gateway address will also be displayed here in this window for the users.
Find IP information on Windows Vista:
The default gateway, IP address, and subnet mask of your computer will be found using the following steps if you are using the Windows Vista.
- First of all, you need to click on the Start button for displaying the search box.
- In the search box of the Windows, you should type cmd and hit Enter key.
- The command prompt application will be listed in the search result. You have to right click on this application and choose the Run as Administrator option. Then, click continue button when the user account control dialog box will be opened on the screen.
- Now, the command prompt window will be opened.
- In the command prompt, you need to type the ipconfig command and press Enter.
- The Windows IP configuration list will be displayed on your computer screen.
- The computer IP address, default gateway, and subnet mask address all are listed in this screen.
- The DNS server IP address is just same as the default gateway Internet protocol address.
Steps to find network information on Mac computers:
Mac OS 8-9.x – If you have Mac operating system in the computers, you have to follow these steps to find the subnet mask, IP address, DNS information, and default gateway.
- In the first step, it is essential to click on the Apple menu – > Control Panel – > TCP/IP
- The TCP/IP control panel window will be opened on your screen. This particular window will have some information such as router address which is gateway address, DSN server name, IP address of the computer, subnet mask, and also all other internet protocol information.
Mac OS 10.x – For the 10.x version of Mac operating system, the following steps are very helpful to know all IP information of a computer.
- You just click on the Apple menu – > System Preferences.
- Then, it is crucial to click on the Network option. If the network settings of your computer are grayed out, it is better choosing the click a lock to make the changes button.
- After that, you can enter in the administrator account name and also password for processing to view the network settings.
- In the next step, you have to select the Ethernet port by just clicking the double arrows next to the Show Fields option and choose the Built in Ethernet.
- Then, you need to click on the tab of TCP/IP.
192.168.1.1 – It is actually the common IP (Internet protocol) address which many router devices are using as their default gateway. Some manufacturers are using it as the default IP address of their routers.