Concrete is a necessary building process for building your residential house and you need to structure your ceiling, walls, roof and other parts of the home with concrete polishing. The concrete membrane should be applied on the building surface in a proper way and you need to hire trained and experienced concreter in this regard. Concrete can provide you utmost durability, longevity, easy maintenance and you can also repair the concrete surface partially if required. But if you want to design your concrete surface with your DIY tools then you need to consider few things, and first, you need to prepare the surface before applying the concrete membrane.
Test the Surface:
In order to perform concrete polishing, you should have detailed information about the surface. Without any prior preparation, the task cannot be accomplished.
- Users need to test the hardness of the surface to get the desired results. Before applying the concrete membrane on the surface, you need to clean the base and remove all dirt, oil and grease from the surface.
- In order to perform the task, hold the pick as you hold a pen and put the palm’s edge on the floor in the writing position.
- It is vital to reach forward and draw the 2 inches line deploying the pressure in the downward direction. It is similar as if you are writing with a pen on the paper.
- While undertaking the task, make sure that the pick is not forced to create a scratch on the surface. Keep on repeating the steps with different picks until the scratches disappear.
- Testing should be done at different points on the floor to obtain accurate results. Sometimes scratches are left not by the pick but by the metal. You can check the same by using the magnifying glass.
Making the Surface Ready:
Prior to polishing the concrete, make sure to prepare the surface in an impeccable manner. All the existing sealers and coatings need to be removed. In the case of minor scratches, the floor grinding process can be initiated later.
- If there are any prior oil stain, remove them immediately because they might cause color variation. Detergents can be applied to remove the grease, dust, and dirt.
- In order to eliminate the adhesives from the floor, it is vital to grind the material vigorously because the former sticks with great strength and conventional methods might not work properly.
- performed with the help of a special forklift.
It is similar to the sanding of the wood wherein the concrete surface is ground with the help of the machine accompanied by diamond segmented abrasives. They play an important role in making the surface smooth after a period of time.
- The dry method is popular among the users to apply polish to the concrete. Once the process is completed, the surface becomes bright and shiny. As far as the wet strategy is concerned, it is quite fast and convenient. In addition, water plays an important role in cool off the diamond abrasives and eliminates the residual dust from the surface.
- To start with existing coatings are removed. Generally, 26 to 20 grit diamond abrasive is used to accomplish the task.
- Cracks and joints should be sealed immediately to prevent the perforation of the dust particles. Once the grinding is completed, you can apply the chemical hardener to solidify the material.
It is better to contact with the concrete in this regard because they are experienced and trained in this field, and they can easily polish and repair your concrete surfaces with utmost accuracy level.